Need Assembly lang. to learn C?

F. G. Oakes zfgo01 at hgo7.hou.amoco.com
Sat Jun 1 09:18:00 AEST 1991

I worked with a bunch of different operating systems and languages before
getting into UNIX and C several years ago.  Most of that time had been work
in assembler (hex patches in machine language were commonplace).  I found the
syntax of C to be somewhat difficult, particularly pointers and pointer
arithmetic.  I found the best way to figure out and understand what was going
on was to associate it with what I knew the machine was doing at the machine
language level.

It might not be necessary for someone (anyone?) to learn assembler or any
particular machine's instruction set, but I think it's safe to say they won't
really understand what's happening until they do.

I think it's fair to compare assembler (machine level) vs any high level
language to command line vs any GUI.

... That oughta set someone off...