VMSTAT

Chris Torek torek at elf.ee.lbl.gov
Sun Jun 2 22:43:23 AEST 1991

In article <162 at wcsn.csms.com> ken at wcsn.csms.com
(Kenneth D. Fox WCSN Sr. Operations Engineer) writes:
>I would like to know (in plain english) what the output of [vmstat]
>is telling me.

This is probably impossible; ordinary English does not have concepts
like `paging' and `virtual memory' and `context switches'.  Your best
bet is to pick up a book on Unix internals (e.g., the Bach System V or
Karels/Leffler/McKusick/Quarterman BSD book).  In any case:

>   procs  	       paging                              system        cpu
>r  b  w  si  so  ch  cm ffr swr sww rec shf shc cpy  pf  in   sy  cs  us su id

this is not a standard BSD header.  The usual BSD header looks like:

 procs     memory              page               disk       faults     cpu
  r b w   avm   fre  re at  pi  po  fr  de  sr s0 d1 d2 d3  in  sy  cs us sy id

so you should mention whose machines and operating systems you use.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Lawrence Berkeley Lab CSE/EE (+1 415 486 5427)
Berkeley, CA		Domain:	torek at ee.lbl.gov