INADDR_ANY

Sean Coleman 497-5672 coleman at bldrdoc.gov
Sun Jun 30 13:20:58 AEST 1991

I have noticed that many server programs use INADDR_ANY to
as the server address when the server binds. Suppose the server
was running on a machine it an IP address of 132.163.128.29 and the
server program sets its address to this instead of INADDR_ANY, what
will happen?

What will happen if the IP address that the server binds to, is
not the IP address of the host. ( I know that this will never
happen if the programmer has the act together but the answer will
help to understand the whole bind operation). I get the feeling
that the address that a program binds to the address that all packets
must have as the receiver for the program to accept the packets.

Thanks

Sean Coleman
NIST
.