Extracting files from a tar file

Greg Whitlock greg at athena.cs.uga.edu
Fri Jun 21 12:32:28 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun20.174511.5658 at agate.berkeley.edu> ryee at sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Raymond Yee) writes:

>This should be a simple question (although I can't figure it out.)  I have

...should be....  :-)

>a tar archive file sitting on my disk and I would like to extract the files.
>How do I do it?  I've tried a mix of the x and f key options, but I
>constantly get a tape read error.

Using 'tar xvf <file>' should work.  A tape read error sounds like a
different problem.

Greg Whitlock                          | Hey! It's the Gregster...Gregarino..
Department of Computer Science         | ...the Greg-meister...Greginsky..the
ACM chairman of UGA                    | man from Greg...Gregatollah...Greg-a
University of Georgia, Athens          | -loo...General Gregkopf...the Greg-
E-mail: greg at athena.cs.uga.edu         | man...Grego..come to do some Unix...