Can't cat tape- big blocks?

Martin Golding martin at adpplz.UUCP
Sat Jun 15 06:27:47 AEST 1991

I said:

>We got a 9 track tape in tar format, with 10k blocks...

>When we cat it to a file it looks like we don't get all the data.
> What should we do?

And already I have the correct answer (2 copies, no flames, thank you
all) "cat" has too small a buffer, use "dd" to get the data off the tape.

Thanks, and I will now go back and re-read everything I have about
unix files and tape handling.
(_Training_? We didn't have time for _training_, we had to start _coding_.)

Thanks again, I'm off to do the makes..

Martin Golding    | sync, sync, sync, sank ... sunk:
Dod #0236         |  He who steals my code steals trash.
A poor old decrepit Pick programmer. Sympathize at:
{mcspdx,pdxgate}!adpplz!martin or martin at adpplz.uucp