SOS: C Routines for ASCII to EBCDIC Conversion and Vice-versa

Dave Andrews dandrews at bilver.uucp
Wed Jun 26 04:10:48 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun20.160334.11278 at gdr.bath.ac.uk> P.Smee at bristol.ac.uk (Paul Smee) writes:
>For a real real definitive answer, you'll have to get friendly with
>someone in IBM.  I know THEY are trying to come up with a definitive
>ASCII<->EBCDIC mapping as part of their SAA project; to dig themselves
>out of the hole caused by the fact that IBM/PCs speak ASCII, while IBM
>mainframes speak EBCDIC.  God only knows what mapping they'll end up
>with.

I believe the IBM effort is leading toward Unicode, a double-byte set.
As I recall, a recent SHARE-wide survey indicated that SHARE members
were not happy with the Unicode idea (which will STILL be unusable in
parts of the world).

I don't think the ASCII/EBCDIC dichotomy will ever be resolved.

- Dave