Manual pages located in NON-STANDARD places in Ultrix

Leonard J. Peirce peirce at gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Tue Jun 11 23:52:34 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun10.214332.11539 at leland.Stanford.EDU> rsingh at elaine4.Stanford.EDU (Rajesh Kumar Singh) writes:

>My question is about MANPATH under ultrix (on two different
>machines).

MANPATH doesn't work on the man included with ULTRIX.  It's easy to take
the 4.3BSD man command and hack it up to work with ULTRIX (so that it supports
multiple character extensions, etc.) if you have access to the 4.3 source.
I did and I replace DEC's man as one of my first tasks after upgrading ULTRIX.

There are also a number of free man implementations that are available.
Tom Christiansen wrote one in perl that is available via anonymous FTP
from tut.cis.ohio-state.edu in the pub/perl/scripts/tchrist directory.  John
Eaton at U of Texas also wrote one that is available from andy.che.utexas.edu
in the pub/src/unix directory.  There are others out there but I can't remem-
ber where they are.

Are you listening, DEC?

Leonard J. Peirce               Internet:  peirce at gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University                peirce at gw.wmich.edu
Academic Computing Services     UUCP:      ...!uunet!sharkey!wmichgw!peirce
Kalamazoo, MI  49008            Phone:     (616) 387-5469

"Answer that, it may be the phone." -- Anthony Wachs, TONY IN RH20 LAND