C shell question about foreach

Chris Davies chris at visionware.co.uk
Thu Jun 6 18:53:14 AEST 1991

In article <11842 at hub.ucsb.edu> 6600bori at ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Boris Burtin) writes:
>I'm trying to write a csh script that will execute a series of commands for
>every directory that exists in /home/pluto.  This script works if I execute it
>while I'm logged in, but it gives me a
>	syntax error at line 7: `(' unexpected
>when I try to run it from crontab.  I'd appreciate any help I can get!  Here's

Crontab assumes everything it gets given is sh script (not csh).
Generally on SysV.3 or earlier (assuming even the existance of a
C-shell) you will need to run your script from crontab explicitly with
the C-shell, viz

	csh myscript

where you've called your script "myscript".

You don't need to do this when you execute the script while you're
logged in, since the C-Shell recognises the # on the first line as
assumes it's a C-Shell script.

Purists might argue that scripts should not be written using the
C-shell language, but rather sh (or perl!) should be preferred.

If you're not using AT&T Unix SysV.3 (or so) then things may be a little
different - you didn't say what sort of Unix you were using.

Chris
--
         VISIONWARE LTD, 57 Cardigan Lane, LEEDS LS4 2LE, England
    Tel +44 532 788858.  Fax +44 532 304676.  Email chris at visionware.co.uk
-------------- "VisionWare:   The home of DOS/UNIX/X integration" -------------