I'm learning UNIX and I have a simple question

Dave Eisen dkeisen at leland.Stanford.EDU
Sun Jun 23 14:35:23 AEST 1991

In article <16503 at smoke.brl.mil> gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <1991Jun22.195705.3287 at leland.Stanford.EDU> dkeisen at leland.Stanford.EDU (Dave Eisen) writes:
>>And besides, what does who have to do with formatting anyway?
>
>Yes, that's a proper designer's perspective.  The user, though, is
>normally just as happy to use the extra option as to use any other
>solution.

I agree with you Doug, but how is anyone supposed to remember that who
happens to have this -n4 option? I program on a UNIX system every day of
my life and I had no idea that who has this option. There is no way an
occasional, casual user of UNIX would know it.

It would be one thing if UNIX commands used options consistently and
*all* commands used -n to indicate number of columns of output, but
with the current mish-mash of command line options for different programs,
I don't see that adding a -n option to who gives a user anything.

It is much easier to associate pr with whatever (admittedly, relatively
simple) formatting you want done than it is to try to remember the -n4
option to who and the -q4 option to foo and the -w4 option to bar.