Finding/changing max memory size available

Stanley Friesen sarima at tdatirv.UUCP
Sat Jun 1 05:19:44 AEST 1991

In article <1991May30.103731.28593 at thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu> mouse at thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (der Mouse) writes:
>In article <24817 at unix.SRI.COM>, ric at ace.sri.com (Richard Steinberger) writes:
>> What I'd like to know is, "Where/How is this limit set?

>This limit is a complex interaction of several things.
<<excellent list deleted>>

>- Probably something else I've forgotten.

mmap() (or shmat()) may map a file or shared memory segment only a few K
above the top user address, efectively placing a roadblock in the way
of sbrk(), and thus limiting malloc().

I have seen this happen - malloc() returning NULL in a large virtual
address space because the next block of addresses was used.