stty -g output ...

MichaelPanosh-UnixEducation at relay.cs.net MichaelPanosh-UnixEducation at relay.cs.net
Wed Jun 19 15:52:31 AEST 1991

Guy Harris replies to a comment about stty -g:

>>I can do a {mv my-new-and-improved-stty /bin/stty} any time,
>>and thereby change the implementation of stty instantaneously.

>You could also do "rm /bin/*", given that you have permission to write
>in "/bin" (or whatever "/bin" is a link to, if it is such), and change a
>hell of a lot more than just the implementation of "stty"; the system
>shouldn't necessarily be prepared for *everything* a
>sufficiently-privileged user can do.

Nobody expects Unix to be able to preempt usrs, but there is no *good* reason
the stty command should not output a recognisable, STANDARD format (which was
described in the manual pages).  Then it would not matter that the stty
command was replaced by the new, improved version while the system was
running.  And there would be no need to rely on word-of-mouth, "second guess"
opinions that may or may not work with your version of Unix.

Don't deliberately make Unix any more obscure than it already is...

++++++++  Michael Panosh           Q. What is a user?
++++++++  Unix Education           A. A person who does not have to
++++++++  Prime Computer              write documentation.