need help on unix

Arthur S. Kamlet ask at cbnews.cb.att.com
Wed Jun 26 07:54:10 AEST 1991

In article <8382 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>Does anyone out there know how to delete the first few lines or the last
>>few lines from a file without evoke a editor?  The reason is the file is
>>too large to be edited.

Seems to me if the file is too large to be edited, then you want to
break it down into manageable sized files.    Just zapping the last
or first few lines may be OK for now, but would still require that
you edit a large file without any guarantee that your edit won't
take you over the limit.

So, if you have a split() available, try to split your file into
pieces, each of which is small enough.

When you want to put the pieces back together, UNIX supplies a
useful command, which is the inverse of split:      cat
--
Art Kamlet  a_s_kamlet at att.com  AT&T Bell Laboratories, Columbus