find giving bad status?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Sun Jun 23 09:19:38 AEST 1991

In article <188 at eeocdt.UUCP> darrell at eeocdt.UUCP (DArrell Tschakert) writes:
-In article <2029 at tssi.UUCP> tssi!nolan writes:
->For the past few months, whenever I do a 'find', I get a whole bunch of
->lines like the following:
-Please give us a bit more information. How were you using the find
-command? What options? What directory were you sitting in.
-Do the following examples  give you errors:
-	find / -print
-	find . -print
-	find / -name prof -print
-Are their any examples of find usage that never cause errors messages to
-be generated? Are their any examples that always cause problems?

Oh, good grief!  What is the point of your suggestions, other than to
show that you aren't qualified to be answering the query at all?

No additional information is needed to answer tssi!nolan's query:

"find: bad status" messages simply mean that a stat() of the file failed.
The usual cause of this is a symbolic link whose target does not exist.