VMSTAT

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Tue Jun 4 03:41:06 AEST 1991

>For even more valuable information, try "sar -A" -- you may
>have to be root to access this command.

You may even have to have it on your system in order to access it.  :-)
Not all UNIX systems have "vmstat", not all have "sar"; "vmstat" was
done at Berkeley, "sar" done by the System V folk, and unless a system
has grabbed stuff from both BSD and S5 streams, including both "vmstat"
and "sar", it won't have both.

Given that the output of "vmstat" on the original poster's system isn't
the output you get from BSD's "vmstat", as noted by Chris Torek, the
system isn't straight BSD; whether it has "sar" or not, I dunno, because
I don't know what kind of system it is.

Advice to askers of questions: indicate what flavor of UNIX you're
using, and what release of that flavor, so that answerers of questions
can have a chance at guessing what facilities you do or don't have on
your system.