tar

Nathan Lee lee at nic.gac.edu
Tue Jun 11 01:27:50 AEST 1991

gilette at trinidad.inria.fr writes:

>    I ftp archives from a site and i need to uncompress them,
>  for they are tar file. I tryed to do tar -xf file.tar.Z
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  but it gives me tar: directory checksum error (0 != -57),
>  and if i use the -i option which is suppose to suppress
>  such errors, it gives me a fulle page of errors !
>  What shall i do ?

It seems to me that the ".Z" extension on your filename is the key to the
problem you are having.

You first need to "uncompress file.tar.Z", which will then uncompress the file
and change the name to "file.tar", on which you should then be able to use "tar
-xf file.tar".

Nathan
| Nathan Lee                  ||                                             |
| Gustavus Adolphus College   ||   "Sit with a pretty girl for an hour       |
| St. Peter, MN  56082        ||      and it feels like a minute.            |
|			      ||    Sit on a hot stove for a minute          |
| (507) 933-8383              ||      and it feels like an hour.             |
|                             ||         *That's* relativity."               |
|     BitNet: LEE at GACVAX1     ||      InterNet: lee at gacvx1.gac.edu           |