How to archive several files with tar?

James Cameron jc at raven.bu.edu
Sun Jun 9 09:48:45 AEST 1991

|> Hi,
|>     I am having a  great deal of difficulty  trying to tar a group of text
|> files to a single file.  I have read the manual entries on this, but can't
|> make any sense  of them.  I would greatly  appreciate it if  someone would
|> help me out here..

|>                                            Thanks.
|> Put your nose to the Grindstone.     |    B.J. Snoopy,

	Take a look at this:

-jc-  [raven: ~/temp] % touch test{1,2,3,4}
-jc-  [raven: ~/temp] % ls
test1   test2   test3   test4
-jc-  [raven: ~/temp] % tar cvf test.tar .
a ./test1 0 blocks
a ./test2 0 blocks
a ./test3 0 blocks
a ./test4 0 blocks
a ./test.tar 0 blocks
-jc-  [raven: ~/temp] % ls
test.tar        test1           test2           test3           test4
-jc-  [raven: ~/temp] % rm test?
-jc-  [raven: ~/temp] % ls
test.tar
-jc-  [raven: ~/temp] % tar xvf test.tar
x ./test1, 0 bytes, 0 tape blocks
x ./test2, 0 bytes, 0 tape blocks
x ./test3, 0 bytes, 0 tape blocks
x ./test4, 0 bytes, 0 tape blocks
x ./test.tar, 0 bytes, 0 tape blocks
-jc-  [raven: ~/temp] % ls
test.tar        test1           test2           test3           test4
-jc-  [raven: ~/temp] %

	So, what you are looking for is basically:

% tar cvf file.tar .

        to create tape archive of current directory.

Hope that helps!!!

jc

--
					-- James Cameron  (jc at raven.bu.edu)

Signal Processing and Interpretation Lab.  Boston, Mass  (617) 353-2879