File descriptors open info

Tom Christiansen tchrist at convex.COM
Sun Mar 3 02:51:44 AEST 1991

>From the keyboard of uunet!bria!mike:
:In an article, castle.ed.ac.uk!eonu24 (I Reid) writes:
:>Why go to all this trouble when there is a system call to do it (at
:>least in BSD... don't know about anywhere else).
:
:Repeat after me ...
:
:	"All the world is not BSD.  All the world is not BSD.  All the
:	 world is not BSD.  All the world is not BSD ..."

Yes, but that's their own fault. :-)

As Chris Torek recently pointed out, pure BSD runs on just a few
machines.  But if you count all the machines that have some kind of BSD
compatibility or library, you've got quite a few.  Just to name one, how
many Suns are there out there, eh?  And what about Ultrix?  They started
out BSD derived; whilel I've heard they've been going for SysVish lately,
I find it hard to believe that they would get away with tossing out
existing functionality.  Does getdtablesize() still work on the latest
version of Ultrix?

--tom
--
"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because
 that would also stop you from doing clever things." -- Doug Gwyn

 Tom Christiansen                tchrist at convex.com      convex!tchrist