docs for lex/yacc

Root Boy Jim rbj at uunet.UU.NET
Thu Mar 28 12:27:43 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar19.231319.1323 at cbnewse.att.com> jcd at spock.att.com (Jack Dixon) writes:
?From article <10321 at uwm.edu>, by andrew at convex.csd.uwm.edu (Andy Biewer):
?>
?> i have been looking for a very long time for some decent documentation, be
?> it commercial or public, for the lex/yacc programming environments.
?> unfortunately, everywhere i've looked, even the BSD manuals don't have
?> anything in-depth.

Did you just look at the man pages or did you look in "The Yellow Book"?
PS1:15 and PS1:16 describe YACC and LEX respectively, in depth.
I believe Sun's documentation is pretty much the same thing.

?> does anyone know where i can find *anything* else about lex/yacc?
?
?Try the O'Reilly & Associates, Inc. book titled "lex & yacc".

NO! DON'T BUY THIS. NOT EVEN FROM US. IT'S A PIECE OF SHIT.

So says Vern Paxson (author of flex) in his ;login: book review.

To be honest, I haven't looked at the book myself. But I
have never read such a bad review in my entire life, and I am
surprised that ORA would put out such trash.
--
		[rbj at uunet 1] stty sane
		unknown mode: sane