Backups on active file system (/users)

Mark F. Flynn FLYNN%EVALUN11.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu
Wed Mar 13 03:38:26 AEST 1991

I'm setting up to do backups of the /users directory on a regular basis.
The problem is the follwing. The system is an HP Apollo 400t running HP-UX
(probably not important) used for developing and running biggish numerical
applications. During the day, I expect to have lots of access to the source
codes (which is the really important bit), and during the night, lots of
CPU- (and possibly I/O-) hungry background processes. Telling people to not
run jobs a certain day or whatever is not acceptable. What I want to know is
if there will be any problems with backing up files which may be open for
either input or output. I am planning to use the command

find /users | cpio ....

Any ideas?

Mark Flynn
FLYNN at EVALUN11.(EARN BITNET)