Multiprocessing via sockets

Robert Scott rbs at bute.ed.aiai
Wed Mar 13 00:28:21 AEST 1991

I'm trying to turn a network of Sun4s in a multiprocessor executing a
parallel language.

So far I have implemented an interpreter for the langauge and can get two
machines to cooperate to solve problems by communicating though a single
socket.

I want to generalise the system. I want an unlimited number of machine to
be able to communicate. I can see that on each machine I need to create
an array of sockets of length N (the number of machines) so that each machine
can talk directly to any other.
How do I do this cleanly?

My first guess is that each machine would have a deamon running on it listening
to a reserved port (like all the other deamons).
Then I would need to design some protocol whereby one of the interpreters, the
one connected to the human :-), would initiate startup by communicating
with the interpreters on the other machines via the appropriate deamon.

Apart from this very sketchy idea I haven't got a clue what I'm going to
do.

Has anyone tried this before (surely someone has) and do they have
advice for me?

Rob Scott
Department of AI
University of Edinburgh