TIOCSTI vs SunOS 4.x

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Thu Mar 28 05:34:27 AEST 1991

>Further experimenting seems to indicate that the problem actually is
>that literal-next simply does not work when CBREAK is enabled, an even
>worse problem, because it means that a program doing cbreak-style input
>leaves the user no way whatever to input the special characters.

Well, not quite.

Literal-next *does* let you escape, say, your interrupt character when
CBREAK is enabled.  However, the literal-next character gets left in the
input queue, so you can't *just* type a ^C (or whatever) at the system;
it'll see the ^V (or whatever) as well.

A fairly straightforward bug, with what I think is a fairly
straightforward fix.  I'll forward the fix to Sun, and also post it to
"comp.bugs.sys5", as the bug in question may also be present in the S5R4
"ldterm" streams module (which is derived from some version of the SunOS
4.x one).