Using ".." in Scripts & Makefiles

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Thu Mar 28 15:06:31 AEST 1991

  I agree with the people with whom you work.  I see no reason not to
use ".." in a Makefile, if your Makefile knows the structure of the
tree in which it is being compiled.  Furthermore, if you tar up the
entire source tree and move it to another location, then absolute
paths in Makefiles may fail, while relative paths will not.

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
jik at Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
Office: 617-253-8085			      Home: 617-782-0710