Determining my ethernet address

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Thu Mar 21 19:52:17 AEST 1991

In article <1467 at babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu>, bigbroth at cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (James M. Coleman) writes:
|> I need to find out the ethernet address of the machine my
|> program is running on without the help of the file /etc/hosts
|> (They are not maintained on my site). I know my hostname
|> and internet address.  Surely there must be a standard
|> way to do this but I'll be damned if I can find it.

  No, ther eis no standard way of doing this.  It is quite dependent on the
hardware you are running on (including, quite possibly, which ethernet boards
you are using) and on the operating system running on that hardware.

  If you tell us what hardware you're using and what OS it's running, we will
probably be able to help you more effectively.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace