RCS info wanted

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Sat Mar 16 06:21:32 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar15.175701.17723 at athena.mit.edu> jik at athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>  One of the biggest differences between the two (in my opinion) is that the
>basic SCCS commands are very primitive and almost impossible for the user to
>"just use" -- you almost certainly need some sort of front-end in order to use
>SCCS effectively.

I disagree -- the BRL MUVES project (over 100,000 lines of code in numerous
files in dozens of directories, with a half dozen developers) uses SCCS to
maintain the source code, documentation, etc. and it is pretty easy to use
for routine purposes:
	admin -ifoo s.foo	# to create the initial archive
	get s.foo		# to check out the latest version
	get -e s.foo		# to check out for editing
	delta s.foo		# to check back in after editing

The main need for any sort of "front end" program occurs on Berkeley-based
systems where it is desired to strictly enforce access controls, due to
lack of kernel support for the sort of UID manipulation that SCCS relies
upon to support such usage.  However, if you simply rely on the normal
user/group permissions, as we do for the MUVES project use of SCCS, it
works adequately.

It also helps if you have an "augmented make" that knows how to deal with
the s. prefixes, and if your Makefiles for documentation etc. contain

.DEFAULT:
	$(GET) $(GFLAGS) -p s.$@ > $@