How can you verify DUMP tapes.?

Barry A. Suskind, Knights who say NI! suskind at mdcbbs.com
Sun Mar 24 02:14:09 AEST 1991

I have been running Dumps of all my filesystems regularly, but have never
figured out how to verify if Dump has actually done the job correctly. Is
there any way of verifying a dump tape.

restore -t or restore -i doesn't make it. They only list the directory
area. The only way I have found to verify the tape is to record the highest
INODE  and tell restore to extract that file. There must be a better way..
Barry A. Suskind                  Internet:   suskind%edoras at mdcbbs.com
MaBell: 703-560-5000x2348             UUCP: uunet!mdcbbs!edoras!suskind
E-Systems / Melpar Division 7700 Arlington Blvd, Falls Church, VA 22046
JSNM                                             Just Stark Naked Magic