Regular FSCK Required ?

der Mouse mouse at thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
Fri Mar 15 19:52:47 AEST 1991

In article <166 at heurikon.heurikon.com>, dougg at vme.heurikon.com (Doug Gillett) writes:
> In article <1991Mar8.040254.16272 at tvcent.uucp> andrew at tvcent.uucp (Andrew Cowie) writes:
>> Hey, you could even solve this problem (maybe) by having cron kill
>> off the fscks an hour later if they still exist.  (Emphasis on the
>> maybe; you won't find me trying that on MY system :-))

I have a program called timeout that runs something else, and if it
still hasn't died after some time later (the time being specified in
seconds on timeout's command line), it kills it off.  (Details
available by mail.)

> Another possibility is to use "fsck -n", if available on your system,
> and redirect the output to a file, usually /usr/adm/messages.  The -n
> option answers "no" to any questions fsck might ask.

Unfortunately this is not always what you want.  I would *really* like
an option to fsck that automatically answers "yes" to "CONTINUE?"
messages and "no" to all others.  I suppose I could hack something
together with expect, but it seems to me it belongs in fsck.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu