Telnet Vs Rlogin

Vadivelu Elumalai vadi at cs.iastate.edu
Fri Mar 29 13:22:14 AEST 1991

I have used both rlogin and telnet to access a remote machine. But
I don't know when to use telnet and when to use rlogin. I know that
rlogin uses the ~/.rhosts and involves more set up than telnet.

Is it possible to rlogin a machine, which could be accessed by telnet
and vice-versa? I think it should be possible, because most of the
machines have reserved ports for both.

Could someone elicit the main differences between these two?

Thanks.
Vadi.
Vadivelu Elumalai,                    U.Snail : 813, Wilson Avenue,
B-20, Atanasoff,                                Ames, Iowa - 50010.
Iowa State University,                AT&T    : (515) - 232 - 7220
Ames, IA - 50010                      E-mail  : vadi at judy.cs.iastate.edu