Need to make "less" do a particular thing "right"

der Mouse mouse at thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
Fri Mar 1 01:22:48 AEST 1991

In article <3399 at unisoft.UUCP>, greywolf at unisoft.UUCP (The Grey Wolf) writes:
> In article <1991Feb20.210427.26089 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> phil at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) writes:
>> I want to make the "less" command NOT switch over to the alterate
>> screen.  This is so that when I press "q" to quit from less, it will
>> NOT switch back to the primary screen on me.

> I would say that you have some sort of souped-up termcap that loves
> to use the memory-page capability of your terminal.

It's also possible this person has been afflicted with xterm[%].  By
default, xterm does this.  I believe there is some resource that can be
set to disable it; the name "titeInhibit" comes to mind.  Check your
documentation.  (I suspect xterm is in commoner use than terminals that
are actually set up to use multiple pages of screen memory like this.)

[%] For those who don't know: xterm is a terminal emulator for The X
    Window System.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu