Using ".." in Scripts & Makefiles

Jan-Piet Mens @ Logix GmbH, Wiesbaden jpm at logixwi.uucp
Thu Mar 28 18:57:11 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar26.201509.5048 at intelhf.hf.intel.com> marko at hutch (Mark O'Shea) writes:
>I am resposible for upgrading a set of test suites which have some scripts
>and makefiles that do things like:
>   HOME=..
>or
>   cd ../../
>
>etc.
>
>Now I know that they will work, but I am instinctively uncomfortable with
>them.  I personally believe that spelling out the path names is a better
>practice.

I don't agree. I also (if I must do it) use the '..' business.
If you have to move the base directory of your package to somewhere
else in the file-system, you will have to modify all the absolute
pathnames !!!.

Why not use -I.. for includes for example, or define absolute pathnames
in Makefiles, etc.

Regards,
	JP

--
Jan-Piet Mens, Logix GmbH				    jpm at logixwi.UUCP
Moritzstr. 50, D-6200 Wiesbaden            ...!uunet!mcsun!unido!logixwi!jpm