AT&T "nth Edition" vs. "Release n"

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Sun Mar 10 09:24:53 AEST 1991

>SunOS 3.0 for the *VAX*??  Did this really exist?

Yes.

>Who used it?

The OS group in Sun, on one machine in Sun, "sunvax", an 11/750.  It
wasn't ever made available as a product; it was mainly just a "proof of
concept" thing.  Nobody ever went past 3.0, as far as I know; when Sun
got its 4.3BSD tape, they brought 4.3BSD up on "sunvax", to provide a
"reference" machine with 4.3BSD on it (useful for e.g. testing that the
4.1 UUCP works over TCP when talking to 4.3BSD machines), and it mainly
ran that.  I don't even think "sunvax" is around any more....