Communication between Unix processes running on different machines

Barry Margolin barmar at think.com
Wed Mar 20 05:46:04 AEST 1991

In article <27E5DD23.20422 at orion.oac.uci.edu> pfluegl at chopin.eng.uci.edu (Manfred J. Pfluegl) writes:
>I am just starting to think about the implementation of a distributed
>algorithm on a set of Sun stations. Since I have never coded anything
>like that I was hoping for a few hints or other helpful input.

>     Are sockets the best approach?
>     If not, what should I use instead?

There is no one "best" approach, it depends on your goals.  Sockets is
currently the most used approach, simply because it is one of the oldest
Unix networking libraries.  TLI is being introduced on many platforms, and
might be more portable into the mid-90's.  If your application conforms to
procedure-calling structure, then RPC may be good.

>     Has anyone written a simple test/application program
>     including communication between different machines that I
>     could look at?

Get the book "Unix Network Programming" by W. Richard Stevens.
It has many good examples.
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar at think.com