DES (crypt) vs. the FTC

Mark Brown mbrown at testsys.austin.ibm.com
Fri Mar 22 10:33:51 AEST 1991

mwarren at rws1.ma30.bull.com (Mark Warren) writes:
|My current belief is that there is no longer any restriction, from the US
|government, concerning shipping the DES algorithm overseas.  Can anyone
|provide an *AUTHORITIVE* confirmation on this?
|
|It used to be that international Unix distributions had crypt and setkey()
|removed.

It is *STILL* U.S. law that DES function cannot be shipped out of the
United States without explicit Commerce Department approval.

I know it's silly, but it is the Law.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a lawyer, but I get advised by them frequently.
--
Mark Brown    IBM PSP Austin, TX.     (512) 823-3741   VNET: MBROWN at AUSVMQ
MAIL: mbrown at testsys.austin.ibm.com OR uunet!testsys.austin.ibm.com!mbrown