Data range used by UUCICO?

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at cs.athabascau.ca
Tue Mar 26 05:43:43 AEST 1991

garyb at abekrd.co.uk (Gary Bartlett) writes:

>Can anyone tell me the range of data values sent by two communicating UUCICO
>processes.  Is it a full 8-bit range (0-255), a full 7-bit range (0-127) or
>a selected range of characters (eg 32-126)?

The g and t protocols use all eight bits. Presumably e and x do so as well,
although you shouldn't really use them ...

>I am most interested in finding out whether it uses the ASCII values for DC1/3.

The default (g) protocol does. This is a problem when running over X.25
through a PAD, thus was born the f protocol. Essentially it encodes
non-printable characters into printable ones, and it explicitly wants
XON/XOFF flow control.

--
    Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
           atha!cs.athabascau.ca!lyndon || lyndon at cs.athabascau.ca
                    Packet: ve6bbm at ve6bbm.ab.can.noam
      The only thing open about OSF is their mouth.  --Chuck Musciano