YABL (Yet Another Book List)

TECHbooks Official Login orders at techbook.com
Wed Mar 27 10:32:42 AEST 1991

In article <MITCH.91Feb2204604 at hq.af.mil> mitch at hq.af.mil (Mitch Wright) writes:
>For complaints, kudos, suggestions, corrections, additions, donations, ...
>drop me an E-mail note -- mitch at oz.com.

>TITLE: (no title given)
Using the UNIX System

>AUTHOR: (no author given)

Richard Gauthier

>SUBJECT: Introduction to UNIX
>PUBLISHER:

Prentice-Hall (Reston imprint)

>DATE: 19??

1982

>PAGES: 297

>ISBN: 0-8359-8164-9, paperback: 0-8359-8162-2

Hardcover is listed as out-of-print by "Books in Print", but is in the
current Prentice-Hall catalog.

>COMMENTS
>	Introductory level book, extremely basic and easy reading.  I read
>	this on a plane trip between Newark, NJ and Columbus, OH before I ever
>	worked seriously with UNIX.  Unlike, Rebecca Thomas and Jean Yates
>	Tutorial style book this one does not require you to be sitting down
>	in front of a crt in order to derive benefit from it.

Softcover should go for about $25, hardcover (if available) for $35.

>TITLE: Advanced C Programming for Displays
>AUTHOR: Rochkind, Marc J.
>SUBJECT: Programming
>PUBLISHER: Prentice-Hall
>ISBN:

0-13-010240-7

>APPROX_COST: 31.95

35.95

>TITLE: Advanced UNIX Programming
>EDITION: 1985, pp 265
>ISBN: 0-13-011818-4, paperback: 0-13-011800-1

Hardcover is out-of-print and not listed in Prentice-Hall catalog.

>APPROX_COST: 34.95

35.95

>TITLE: A Book on C
>AUTHOR: Kelley, Al
>AUTHOR: Pohl, Ira
>SUBJECT: C Programming
>PUBLISHER: Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Company, Inc.
>DATE: 1984

1990

>PAGES: 362

525

>ISBN: 0-8053-6860-4

0-8053-0060-0

>APPROX_COST: 32.25
>SUGGESTED_BY: Mitch Wright <mitch at hq.af.mil>
>COMMENTS

This book has been replaced by a second edition, which includes (of course)
ANSI C.

>	This is a book written with the beginning C programmer in mind.
>
>TITLE: The C Answer Book
>AUTHOR: Tondo, Clovis L.
>AUTHOR: Gimpel, Scott E.
>SUBJECT: C programming
>PUBLISHER: Prentice-Hall
>DATE: 1985

1989

>PAGES: 209
>ISBN: 0-13-109877-2

0-13-109653-2

>APPROX_COST: 21.00
>KEYWORDS: K&R answers
>COMMENTS
>	This book provides the answers to the exercises found in K&R.  I
>	believe that a second edition of this book has also been recently
>	published corresponding with the 2nd edition of K&R.

Right.

>TITLE: C Primer Plus Revised Edition

The Waite Group's New C Primer Plus

>AUTHOR: Waite, Mitchell
>AUTHOR: Prata, Stephen

>AUTHOR: Martin, Donald

This guy got dropped from the list of authors.

>SUBJECT: C programming
>PUBLISHER: Howard W. Samms & Company
>DATE: 1987
>PAGES: 558
>ISBN: 0-672-22582-4

0-672-22687-1

>APPROX_COST: 23.95

29.95

>TITLE: The C Programmer's Handbook
>APPROX_COST: 22.95

24.95

>TITLE: The C Programming Language, First Edition
>APPROX_COST: 27.00

More like 30.00

>TITLE: The C Programming Language, Second Edition
>PUBLISHER: Prentice-Hall
>DATE: 1988
>PAGES: 272
>ISBN: 0-13-110362-8
>APPROX_COST: 28.00

32.00

Also available in hardcover (ISBN 0-13-110370-9 for approx. $45)

>TITLE: The C Puzzle Book: Puzzles for the C Programming Language, 2nd Ed.
>AUTHOR: Feuer, Alan R.
>SUBJECT: C programming
>PUBLISHER: Prentice-Hall
>DATE: 1982

1989

>PAGES: 173
>ISBN: 0-13-109934-5 paperback: 0-13-109926-4

>TITLE: The C and Unix Dictionary
>AUTHOR: Christian, Kaare
>SUBJECT: Definitions of terms
>PUBLISHER: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
>DATE: 1988
>PAGES: 216
>ISBN: 0-471-60929-3, 0-471-60931-5 (pbk)
>APPROX_COST: 24.95

32.95 and 19.95

>TITLE: C: A Reference Manual, 2nd Edition

3rd Edition

>AUTHOR: Harbison, Samuel P.
>AUTHOR: Steele Jr., Guy L.
>SUBJECT: C Programming
>PUBLISHER: Prentice-Hall
>DATE: 1987

1991

>PAGES: 404

392

>ISBN: 0-13-109810-1, paperback: 0-13-109802-0

0-13-110933-2 for paperback

>APPROX_COST: 31.95

24.95

>TITLE: Compiler Design in C

48.00 (?)

>TITLE: Data Structures and C Programs.
>PAGES:
>ISBN:

>TITLE: The Design and Implementation of the 4.3BSD Unix Operating System
>APPROX_COST: 39.00

41.95

>TITLE: Efficient C
>APPROX_COST: 25.00

29.95

I got this far before I got tired.  I'll come back and finish off the rest
of the list later this week.  I'll also try to get some more definite prices
from various publishers.  Most publishers raise their prices at the start of
each year, and some raise their prices in the summer, too.

--
Voice: +1 503 646-8257  FAX: +1 503 248-6320  orders at techbook.com  - or -
Public Access UNIX site: +1 503 644-8135   ...!uunet!techbook!orders