Using a vt220 clone with unix vi?

Ian Phillipps ian at unipalm.uucp
Fri Mar 8 04:31:48 AEST 1991

pln at egret1.stanford.edu (Patrick L. Nolan) writes:

>I have a colleague who has recently started using a Sun computer
>by means of a VT220 clone terminal.  This terminal has problems
>dealing with vi because the ESC key doesn't send the ESC character
>in VT220 mode.  Instead it sends a four-character escape sequence
>that confuses vi mightily.

>I would like to know if there's a way to change termcap or tset or teach
>vi to deal with this sequence as if it was ESC.  Or maybe to make
>the terminal send ESC, without giving up the rest of the VT220
>keyboard mapping.

Yes.
Use the "map": do "map <whatever string it is> <escape>"
and dont forget "map! <...> <...>"

OK, it's a bootstrap problem, but you can get ESC by CTRL/[ anyhow.
You'll need some number of ^Vs to protect the ESC key (one if you type the
map in at the vi prompt, more to enter them into a .exrc file).

Ian
---
Look! no jokes in the .signature!!