Simple text editor for unix

A mutable language jeenglis at alcor.usc.edu
Tue Mar 19 05:39:13 AEST 1991

amc at wlv.imsd.contel.com (Allen M. Cohen) writes:

>Can somebody tell me whare I can get a simple TEXT editor for Unix?
>We need it for non-programers who need to edit configuration files,
>etc.  EMACS and VI are too rich for this purpose.
>E.G.:  Is there anything like the "SEE" text editor for DOS on UNix?

You might want to consider using 'ex' (vi in line-oriented mode).
My roommate picked it up in about two hours and is perfectly
happy with it.  A full-screen display isn't really necessary;
he normally uses a Macintosh, and ex's line-oriented display
doesn't bother him at all.   Plus, it's much simpler to learn
and use than visual mode or emacs.

--Joe English

  jeenglis at alcor.usc.edu