<defunct> processes

GarBear Irick irick at ei.ecn.purdue.edu
Mon Mar 18 16:56:48 AEST 1991

OK, OK, here goes a really stupid question...

In a bit of server code I am working on, I decided that I would allow
multiple clients to connect to the server, meaning a fork() each time a
connection is established.  The child does its job, but when it finishes,
it hangs around as a <defunct> process after the exit().  I am using a
socket, adn the final code goes somethin' like this:

  write(sock,"Bye!\n",5);
  close(sock);
  exit(0);

I thought that maybe signal(SIGCHLD,SIGIGN) would fix it, but alas.  I
never thought I would post such a DUMB question to the net...  please drop
me a line at the address below, since I don't have much time to read news
this week!  Thanks...

--
Gary A. Irick,  Purdue University | "You can log out any time you like,
INTERNET: irick at ei.ecn.purdue.edu |  But you can never leave!"