.rhosts

Gary Weimer 588-0953 weimer at garden.kodak.COM
Thu Mar 21 04:34:58 AEST 1991

In article <13943 at hacgate.UUCP> you write:
|> Here is the problem. My management wants me to stop using .rhosts
|> as the permission for  this transfer. fred's transfer is from the root
|> account. If I remove the .rhosts from mary, then fred gets permmission
|> denied. Useing hosts.equiv will not work since fred's root account cannot
|> be there. Or can it? what other method can rcmd be used to do this
|> cpio transfer?

Using the hosts.equiv creates a bigger security problem than the .rhosts
file (I assume this is why you are suppose to stop using it.)

Could you do an su <some_user> on fred to do the transfer and create a
.rhosts for <some_user>? (Management may not consider this an
improvement.)

weimer at ssd.kodak.com ( Gary Weimer )