Splitting up a too-wide text file

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Sat Mar 16 04:00:18 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar15.032648.21 at cbnewsi.att.com>, npl at cbnewsi.att.com (nickolas.landsberg) writes:
|> LENGTH=whateveryourlinelength

  Surely you mean "whateveryourpagelength" here and not
"whateveryourlinelength?"  Otherwise, I don't see how your script makes any
sense, since the "split" command isn't going to split the file in columns,
it's going to split it in lines.

  If that's what you meant, then sure, you can get things to work the way you
specified.  But personally, it seems to me that using the hold space in sed or
a variable/array in awk to store text would be a better solution, since it
would require no temporary files and world use far fewer forks and execs in
order to do the job (and therefore would be significantly faster).

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace