csh path

Art Neilson art at pilikia.pegasus.com
Sun Mar 10 15:34:04 AEST 1991

In article <5965 at beryl12.UUCP> mostek at motcid.UUCP (Frank B. Mostek) writes:
>When I add a new image to a bin directory that is included in my path
>csh environment variable, I have to "re-setenv" the path variable in
>order for the new image to be found.
>
>Why?  Is there a way around this?  When I add a new tool, I have to
>tell everyone to re-source their .cshrc file.  But if I update an image
>file, then the re-sourcing is not necessary.

The C shell keeps an internal hash table for finding commands in your $path.
This table is built when you log in, if you add a new executable to a
directory in the path you need you tell the C shell to rebuild it's hash
table.  The easiest way of doing this is via the 'rehash' command.  At the
% prompt, just type 'rehash', and csh will be able to find the new
executables in the path.  Alternatively, you can log out and back in again,
or "re-setenv" the path variable as you have been doing.

Arthur W. Neilson III		| INET: art at pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pilikia!art