Repeat telneting?

Andrew Salamon salamon at sdbio2.ucsd.edu
Sun Mar 17 14:51:49 AEST 1991

Greetings!
  I am very much a novice at this sort of thing, so please bear with me...

  I would like to have a way of continuously attempting to connect to a machine
with telnet.  ie if the machine is down, or there are network problems, I would
like to have a small program that would continue trying to connect until
it succeeded, or I stopped it.

  I can write a simple 'while' loop that does 'telnet host' but when telnet
says 'Network Unreachable' or some such, the shell 'while' loop can't do any-
thing to continue with the next attempt.  I should say, I don't know of any
way to make the shell loop do so.

  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  Please respond by e-mail.

--
Andrew "Hiding behind 7-bit ASCII" Salamon     | a.k.a  Bleydion op Rhys
salamon at sdbio2.ucsd.edu     <---Internet       | a.k.a  T'nol