Why does ftp deny permission?

Jean-Luc Szpyrka jls at ithaque.inria.fr
Sat Mar 2 02:10:11 AEST 1991

In article <ERAN.91Feb26142049 at elaine3.stanford.edu>, eran at elaine3.stanford.edu (eran yehudai) writes:
> The ftp on my sun 3/50 (sunOS Release 4.0) refuses connection to
> ordinary users before asking them for password:
>
> unixhub% ftp thsun1
> Connected to thsun1.SLAC.Stanford.EDU.
> 220 thsun1.SLAC.Stanford.EDU FTP server (SunOS 4.0) ready.
> Name (thsun1:eran): eran
> 530 User eran access denied.
> Login failed.
> ftp>
>
> Anonymous ftp works fine.
> Any ideas?
> --
> Eran Yehudai
> eran at thsun1.slac.stanford.edu

1) your login name (on thsun1.SLAC.Stanford.EDU) must noy be present
in the /etc/ftpusers file (if this file exists)

2) your login shell (/binsh, /bin/csh, /bin/tcsh ...) must be
present in the file /etc/shells

(I think it's the reason why anonymous ftp (with usually /bin/sh) works fine,
and you (/bin/tcsh ???) not.)