why different swapping modes on executables?

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Tue Mar 12 20:43:52 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar12.012401.557 at nowhere.uucp> sking at nowhere.uucp (Steven King) writes:
>    While I think I understand what the difference is, I don't understand
> why the difference. Is there any advantage to one over the other? How
> does one, short of directly editing the binary, assign one or the other?
> ( the link editor doesn't offer any clues )

At one point, the linker would just willy-nilly put things back to back.
For example, text might end at 0x1231, and data would then begin at 0x1232.
When paging, you do *not* want to use old data.  Therefore, if you want to
page directly from disk, you arrange things such that everything is in a
decent arrangement (which is what your kernel would do for you when it
swapped pages to the swap device).

At least, that's how I understand it.

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."