TCP/IP channel behaviour

Jochen Manns, PI der Uni Bonn, 732738/3611 MANNS%DBNPIB5.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu
Sat Mar 9 21:11:42 AEST 1991

Dear TCP/IP experts,

        1. 'connect'-Timeout
           Is there a way to modify the timeout the connect-systemcall uses for
           TCP/IP connections? For some of our applications the time the channel
           spent in 'netstat's state SYN_SENT could but much shorter.
        2. RPC an TCP/IP
           Using SUNs RPC (4.0) with TCP/IP we can see, that after a 'clnttcp_de
stroy'
           the clients socket stays in TIME_WAIT but the servers socket is
           closed normally. Since we are using RCP/TCP/IP very intensivly
           I would like to know whether there is a way to close the channel
           totally.
        We are running DG/UX 4.31 on a Data General AViiON 300.

Thank you in advance

                        Jochen Manns
                        Physikalisches Institut der Universitaet Bonn
                        Nussallee 12
                        5300 Bonn 1
                        (Germany)