Reliable UDP transport

Jordan Hayes jordan at tcs.com
Fri Mar 22 04:20:14 AEST 1991

John Carter <john at wekiwa.uucp> writes:

	I am working on an application which will require a Sun
	workstation to communicate with an external device via UDP.  We
	need to implement some simple means of reliability.

If you need reliability, you have selected the wrong protocol.  If you
selected ("required"?) UDP for it's "light-weight-edness" then you
missed the point.  Rolling your own reliability in user-space will be
more expensive than getting the kernel to deliver your bytes reliably
over TCP.

/jordan