backup/restore for Sun's

Dave Farrow farrow at ridley.coyote.trw.com
Thu Mar 7 04:50:25 AEST 1991

    I am looking for a backup and restore system for a network of Sun
workstations (3/60s, 4/370s, and sparc 1+'s) running SunOS 4.1.1. I am
interested in a system that will allow files and directories to be excluded
from the backups. And I would like a more intelligent restore program that
will easily allow a non interactive specification of files to extract. And
it would be even better if the system was smart enough not to restore files
from old dumps that have since been deleted intentionally by the user.
Does such a system exist? If if does how can I find it? If it doesn't, are
there any suggestions how I would go about writing such a system

    I have considered using a combination of tar and csh scripts to do this
but I'm not sure how to deal with the problem when the tape reaches the end
and there is more to retore. I have not thought about any other solutions
yet because I am hoping that something already exists.

    Please answer by email. If there is sufficient interest I will post a
summary in a few weeks.

-dave