Unix accommodating 3278 Terminals

Neil Rickert rickert at mp.cs.niu.edu
Fri Mar 22 10:04:55 AEST 1991

In article <26320 at adm.brl.mil> slayne at redstone-emh2.army.mil ( ASQNC-MIC-IT-TI/Sid Layne) writes:
>Does anyone know of a software package (public or otherwise) for UNIX platforms,
>that will allow an IBM MVS 3278 terminal user the ability to emulate a vt100/220
>terminal after telneting via TCP/IP from MVS to a UNIX platform. I am speaking
>of the exact oposite of software such as TN3270 that allows terminals in the
>UNIX world to emulate 3278 devices. Your responses will be greatly appreciated
>and can be sent to:

 This probably can't be done.  The vt100 terminal is unbuffered.  Each
keystroke is transmitted immediately.  The 3278 is buffered.  Up to a complete
screenful of data is buffered on the terminal/control unit.  The host doesn't
even see a keystroke until the ENTER key or one of the PF keys or PA keys is
used.  At that time the complete screenful may be transmitted in a block
operation.

 You can use software emulation, as in 'tn3270', to emulate a buffered terminal
with an unbuffered one.  All the emulation software must do is provide the
buffering and screen management.  Going the other way is a little more
difficult, unless you have extra sensory perception built into your CPU.