Splitting up a too-wide text file

Don Thomson thomson at zazen.macc.wisc.edu
Thu Mar 14 23:28:44 AEST 1991

I've got a file of ASCII text that has lines that are too long to easily
print, formatted in columns.  I'd like to run the file through a filter that
will essentially break each page in half horizontally at a column break and
place the right-hand side of the broken-off text on a new following page,
resulting in a new file of reasonable width.  I've got a few relatively
inelegant solutions in mind, but am interested in suggestions on how other
people might approach the problem with an appropriate combination of UNIX
tools.  Any ideas?
--

----- Don Thomson ----- MACC, 1210 W. Dayton, Madison, WI  53706 -------------
    (608) 262-0138      thomson at macc.wisc.edu / thomson at wiscmacc.bitnet