why different swapping modes on executables?

Martin Golding martin at adpplz.UUCP
Tue Mar 26 04:03:01 AEST 1991

In <9166 at sail.LABS.TEK.COM> terryl at sail.LABS.TEK.COM writes:

>>In article <573 at adpplz.UUCP>, martin at adpplz.UUCP I wrote:

>>> My impression is that the (original) version of the Magic Number was
>>> the actual value to load into the PDP 11 MMU control register, to select
>>> one or the other model.

Which was, of course, nonsense. <:-(

and dyson at cbnewsk.att.com (john.s.dyson) was about the hundredth person to say

>     Pulling out my trusty (but VERY dusty!!! (-:) PDP11 Processor handbook,
>the original a.out magic number 0407 (that's octal, folks!!!) says it is
>an unconditional branch to seven words (i.e. 14 bytes) past the current PC;

OK! OK! I screwed up! I promise never to answer a question again without
having the hardware manual in hand, all right? Just let this damn thing
die a natural death. Unless you like torturing the mentally incompetent...

Martin Golding                         | sync, sync, sync, sank ... sunk:
Dod #0236                              |  He who steals my code steals trash.
A Poor old decrepit Pick(tm) programmer ... Sympathize at:
{mcspdx,pdxgate}!adpplz!martin or martin at adpplz.uucp