journaling news articles...

Begley Michael L spam at iastate.edu
Wed Mar 20 13:42:16 AEST 1991

I need to be able to concatenate all articles in a news group into a
single file so I can mail it to someone without netnews.  I tried piping
commands into rn from a file, but it got wedged after the first command.
(for experimentation purposes, I just used the commands that would read the
first message out of the first newsgroup, then quit out of rn.  The file
'command' looked like this:

I tried running it with:
cat command | rn

and

rn < command

both processes hung and I had to kill them from another shell.

Anyway, my question is: "What am I doing wrong?"  My ultimate goal is to
have a shell script called something like groupread (rather orwellian) that
I would use like this:

groupread news.group > file

where file would contain all the unread atricles in news.group.

Thanks a lot...

-mike begley
spam at iastate.edu